Social Icons

Pages

01 February 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group (1)

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."
-Sam Ewing

Today I am participating in the Insecure Writer's Support Group from Alex J. Cavanaugh and his blog.  There are so many people participating!!  There must be a lot of insecurity - which is comforting.  I'm not alone!

My insecurity today lies in my ability to finish my writing.  The quote above outlines what I've been going through.  I know I want to turn up my sleeves and write, but I fall into the "don't turn up at all" category most of the time.  I always have the question, "How do you stay motivated?" and there are hundreds of books and articles about how to curb writer's block and advice to "just write everyday" or "only write when you feel like it".  There is so much advice out there I'm not sure what will work for me.

So far, the "write when you're in the mood" hasn't worked.  I've written 18K words toward a story that I absolutely HAVE to finish - it's not letting me write anything else.  I'm struggling to just get words to flow.

I know that my inability to write consistently stems from my insecurities about the quality of what I'm writing.  But HOW do I get past this?

I'd like to, for once, meet a confident writer.  Who are you and can we have some coffee and a talk?

"For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did. And I get the sweats. I go in and start working, I'm not sure where I'm going. If I knew where I was going I wouldn't do it."
-Frank Gehry

Would I write if I had no insecurity about myself and my writing?  If I had nothing to get out of my head?  Probably not.  Maybe insecurity can be a good thing sometimes.  Always being sure of yourself can be dangerous.

Thanks for reading.


2 comments:

  1. good point... i feel the same way about finishing.... sometimes if i know what im writing is not good, i just keep putting it down to get closer, then go back and fix it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best advice I ever got was to "lower your standards." Perfectionism is way over-rated. When I thought I had to be perfect, I couldn't get anything down on paper. Now that I've given myself permission to not be perfect, I get a lot more done. Sure, I still struggle, but at least I have something to edit!

    ReplyDelete

 

Hit Counter

hit counter

Sample Text

1.